Golden hour, Toronto Islands

If I ever leave Ontario, I already know the time of year, the kind of day, even the hour that will make me miss it most. It's the golden hour on certain days of fall. It makes sense of everything in this city and it makes the summers that swelter and the tundra winters all worthwhile.

On Friday, I took the ferry Ongiara over to Ward's Island. We had a brief window, to stroll and look at houses, to see the island suffused in light coppered and golden. There's something off-kilter about most of the houses on the island (and one would guess, some of their inhabitants). The walls and roofs are all akimbo and overgrown.

As the sun set, we drank a pumpkin ale and speculated about silly things. We strolled some more and then caught the ferry back in the dark.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. The red flame of the last image. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are so beautiful, Jane. I love that time after the sun sets--the gloaming--too, when everything is bathed in those post-sunset golds and pinks. There's a stretch of road here that has a perfect passenger-seat view of the Gulf of Mexico, and I swear that time of night is so beautiful it can make you want to cry.

    Thanks for sharing these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off-kilter, absolutely, and quite lovely. I should really try to catch that golden hour...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. This is my favourite favourite time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spring too - transitional seasons are the best!

      Delete
  5. Hello Jane

    You so beautifully show "the Island" of which I am familiar. So different yet only minutes away by ferry. Your afternoon and evening sounded wonderful. Beautiful photography

    Punkin ale, how was it?

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - the pumpkin ale was delicious!

      Delete
  6. I spent my first 11 years in and around Toronto and those islands hold a particular freight of memory. And the memory that fall in Canada is a joy before the lengthy onslaught of winter. A lovely reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. It's always interesting to me to think of Toronto as a city of memories for others, as it's my city of discoveries without memories. I love when my discoveries intersect with another's memories. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. What fantastic photos! And what luck to take the Ongiara. Immortalized in an album name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - I was very happy to be on Ongiara!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Jane - I'd love to visit, and stroll with you in one of these golden hours. We tend to have 'peachy' hours when the sun sets here in Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful, Jane!
    Loved the islands around Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.