Sunday best: Fall, baskets and home-keeping

All weekend, I've been reading Ben Pentreath's new decor book and, yesterday, I did some fall-cleaning, taking out the A/C, vacuuming up a storm and hanging up some unhung pictures. I bought dahlias and roses in fall's warm oranges and lit candles.


Mr. Pentreath's book is an absolute treat, but my very favourite decor book is The Irish Country House. It can be hard to find nowadays, but worth tracking down if you're the World of Interiors kind of girl or guy. Both books lured me back to the website of Joe Hogan, an Irish basket-maker. I don't think I blogged about him before, but I meant to.


And today's outfit is inspired by his creations. I love these mossy, woollen textures and colours... they evoke kicked leaves and lichen-covered bark. And I can almost smell a peat fire and feel a damp chill when I look at all of this together.


It's dark now so very early... pitch black by 8 o'clock. I'm reacquainted already with my favourite blankets and woolly socks and, although I don't plan any major wardrobe splurges in the near future, I can perhaps see a thick mossy cardi in my future.

Products: The Irish Country House | √Čtoile Isabel Marant Plume Cardigan from La Garconne | Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil from Nars | iDris bag from Ally Cappelino | A.P.C. Zip Ankle Boot from La Garconne | Indigo Jean from Toast

Baskets by Joe Hogan.

14 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite posts. I love everything in it, not just the clothing. Those baskets, like nests, are just what I would want for my house.

    PS. I came to Toronto this weekend to attend Word on the Street and before I left I scrolled through your Sunday Best posts to try and put together an outfit! I picked jeans in burnished honey boots and a striped tee, but it's too cold, and my sister gave me a blouse and jacket instead. Still, I love these posts, and this one is particularly appealing. I always want all the items in them. Are they all your own clothing and accessories in each post? If so, you have the best wardrobe ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph - Thank you! It's lovely to hear that Sunday bests are inspiring for you. They've definitely influenced a few of my own purchases and how I put things together too.

      No, they're not my own clothes at all (I wish!) Nor are they really supposed to be shopping lists for clothes, rather a fantasy for a certain outfit to go with a certain kind of day. It's all intended to be loose and imaginative, rather than material.

      Delete
    2. I like that, a fantasy for a certain outfit to go with a certain day. I can't put together an outfit to save my life, but I totally understand that imaginative, fantasising process and the feeling that accompanies it.

      Delete
  2. Oh! I'm just thrilled about this Sunday Best. I clicked over, holding my breath and thinking, "Gee, I could really use one of Jane's Sunday Bests today" ... and cheered quietly (I live alone, but still) as I read the post. I love how you pull an entire mood together with a few details. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe Hogan's baskets are incredible, thank you for sharing. I feel most inspired by nature in the transitional seasons and Hogan's baskets evoke both. It sounds like you are having a lovely fall weekend. I think that mossy sweater would fit in perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those baskets are marvelous! And the cardigan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking at his baskets, thinking about how intricate they all look - so much work, but so beautiful!

    I'm silently envying you here with your coming winter days. I really don't feel like entering another long summer in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - I know I usually love spring but dread summer! Not good with the heat at all...

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.