Howth village

Lest my photos of Howth Head deceived anybody into thinking I was in the countryside, let me clarify that Howth is very much part of Dublin... a mere half hour drive from the city centre in good traffic.

The peninsula of Howth forms the northside of Dublin Bay. But the village of Howth, sheltered by Ireland's Eye, is its own port too and was originally a fishing village. Residents like to tell you it's all been ruined... now a haven for famous occupants and day-tripping tourists. But, when you walk down the pier, it's still a port and place for work for many fishermen.

Dad always jokes that I'll photograph any old rusty boat, and it's true I gravitate towards the fishing pier and not the more popular promenade south pier. I took to wandering there so often with my camera, one of the fisherman called out, nodding in my direction, "paparazzi is at it again". Classic Dubliner.


More photos here.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you explained--I thought you were out in the wilds! I love rusty boats too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dublin / Howth is deceptive like that! It's easy to still be near the city and feel like you're somewhere pretty rural... Indeed, it's one of the things I miss the most. In Toronto, you have to drive for hours to get away from the city!

      Delete
  2. Jane, these are it, fantastic.

    I would love a print of the blue/green fishing nets. Seriously.
    Have you considered selling your photos?

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a book once of my photos: http://seenandsaid.blogspot.ca/2009/11/thither.html

      ...but I haven't seriously considered selling prints. Thanks though - that's lovely to hear and if I do print any of them I will let you know!!

      Delete
  3. I echo other comments, really beautiful images, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos. I would buy prints as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie!! That's very flattering!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Fantastic photos, Jane.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.