Swimming Studies

I'm taking Leanne Shapton's Swimming Studies home with me, to read by the sea. I think you all know what it means to me to be in salt water. I already love her first chapter:


Water
Water is elemental, it's what we're made of, what we can't live within our without. Trying to define what swimming means to me is like looking at a shell sitting in a few feet of clear, still water. There it is, in sharp focus, but once I reach for it, breaking the surface, the ripples refract the shell. It becomes five shells, twenty-five shells, some larger, and I blindly feel for what I saw perfectly before trying to grasp it.


I also read a piece by Ms. Shapton in the July Allure, while at the hairdressers on the weekend. I'm always in a sort of slowed down reality there, one of the few such environments I do relax and luxuriate in. Her feature was lovely to read there and it resonated with me in ways that cross boundaries of acquaintance. If you can hunt it down, I recommend reading it.

Paintings by Vicki Smith, from Bau-Xi

9 comments:

  1. Your trip home is so soon! I love the paintings, underwater is one of my favourite places to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It seemed like ages ago and suddenly, it's on my doorstep!

      Delete
  2. I'm leaving and for some days I'll live and swim in a enchanting little island with sea and cliffs and nothing else around me.
    I bring swimming studies too, I had time to bought only the digital version, but I was too fashinated and intrigued after reading your post.
    Thank you, the deeply blue silence surely will remind me your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tilia - I hope you enjoy it too and have a lovely getaway.

      Delete
  3. I am getting caught up on my favorite blogs, so I just read this, a month late. :)

    I looked at some of her other paintings via the link you posted. "The Happiest Girl I Know" is my favorite. The title and her work campture the feelings of freedom and peace and joy that I feel when I am swimming.

    Thank you for sharing! I will be sure to check out the book as well.

    Monika

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Comments are moderated for spam, advertising, obscenity etc. Please note that your profile name links to your site/blog. Using the comment field to promote your site/blog is considered spamming.